This Case is Gonna Kill Me ~ Audio

This Case Is Gonna Kill Me - Phillipa Bornikova

The Blurb

What happens when The Firm meets Anita Blake? You get the Halls of Power—our modern world, but twisted. Law, finance, the military, and politics are under the sway of long-lived vampires, werewolves, and the elven Alfar. Humans make the best of rule by “the Spooks,” and contend among themselves to affiliate with the powers-that-be, in order to avoid becoming their prey. Very loyal humans are rewarded with power over other women and men. Very lucky humans are selected to join the vampires, werewolves, and elves—or, on occasion, to live at the Seelie Court.

Linnet Ellery is the offspring of an affluent Connecticut family dating back to Colonial times. Fresh out of law school, she’s beginning her career in a powerful New York “white fang” law firm. She has high hopes of eventually making partner.

But strange things keep happening to her. In a workplace where some humans will eventually achieve immense power and centuries of extra lifespan, office politics can be vicious beyond belief. After some initial missteps, she finds herself sidelined and assigned to unpromising cases. Then, for no reason she can see, she becomes the target of repeated, apparently random violent attacks, escaping injury each time through increasingly improbable circumstances. However, there’s apparently more to Linnet Ellery than a little old-money human privilege. More than even she knows. And as she comes to understand this, she’s going to shake up the system like you wouldn’t believe….

At the publisher's request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management software (DRM) applied.

My Thoughts

I don't know that I would compare this to Anita Blake...(at least from what I have read of that series) I ended up trying the Audio when it was available with one of Audibles "2 for 1 Credit" sales, I liked the Narrator and thought it was worth a try.  It was a little weird listening at first as the narrator also does the Dulcie O'Neil series so those were the characters I heard for like the first hour...but then they took on their own life.

I really like Linnet, I could of done without some of her self doubts and insecurities but that just makes her character more realistic.  I was kinda surprised at how gruesome/descriptive the murder scene was (when I'm reading or listening to a book I have a movie playing in my head of what i'm reading...that murder was not a pretty picture).  I love how she stood up to Ryan and in doing so, brought most of the women on their floor together. Two other interesting characters are David and John....it will be interesting to see where the story goes with them.

All in all a great listen and at least for the moment I am now hooked on a new series.