Against the Sky ~ Audiobook

Against the Sky - Kat Martin, Jack Garrett

Title: Against The Sky (The Brodies of Alaska #2)
Author: Kat Martin
Narrators: Jack Garrett
Publisher/Date: Recorded Books February 23, 2015
Format Listened to: Audio CD

For detective Nick Brodie, that means keeping the perps off the streets of Anchorage 24/7. Nick has never backed down from danger, but after the horrors he's seen, he's definitely in need of a break.

Samantha Hollis never thought she'd meet anyone like Nick, especially in a place like Las Vegas. But after one reckless, passionate night, she discovers the charismatic stranger is everything she wants in a man. But can he ever be anything more than a one-night stand?

When Nick invites her to Alaska, Samantha decides to find out, never guessing the depths she'll discover in him or the tangle of murder, kidnapping, and danger about to engulf them both...

This was my first Kat Martin book….I have been meaning to get to one of her books for a while, the book blurbs always sound interesting and the covers are pretty cool. Unfortunately, this one while not horrible….was not great either. It started out great, I loved how Samantha met Nick and the chemistry between them was great while they were in Vegas……once they were both home though…..ARRRRRGGGGGG

So there will be some minor spoilers as there is really no way around it.

Nick gets home and he is visited by Jimmy, the kid somewhat next door who just lost his father. Jimmy tried telling Nick that he thinks his father was murdered and Nick, an ex homicide detective blows him off telling him he needs to get past his fathers death. Seriously….he was a cop, a detective and he just blows off the suspicions as the over active imagination of a young boy looking for a reason why he lost his father….that bugged me (a lot if you can’t tell). Shortly after that, he contacts Samantha to see if she will visit him in Alaska, and she agrees. Samantha….who started out likeable and then turned into…not quite TSTL, but kinda close when she found out she was pregnant. No long after she arrives in Alaska, there was a situation with Jimmy and Nick finally believes that Jimmy may be right in thinking his fathers death was not from natural causes….and then because she knew how to “Google” Sam becomes the super sleuth getting detailed in depth information that jumpstarts the investigation….that just comes off as big contrived thing. We then get the inner monologues for both Nick and Samantha….that was irritating; him “She is to much a girly girl….she would never make it in Alaska….never like it….blah blah blah” her “Nick would never be happy in SF, he is to much a manly man….he needs to be in Alaska to be happy…blah, blah, blah” these inner monologues happened quite a bit, more then really necessary. Everything gets wrapped up and when all is said and done they get their HEA.

What saved this and made it possible to finish was the narration by Jack Garrett, while I’m not always thrilled with how most men do the female voices, he did read the story well and made it much easier to get to the end of Sam and Nick’s story.

I will still try some other Kat Martin stories, this one was really “meh” for me just not sure The Brodies of Alaska is the series for me…or maybe it’s just Samantha and Nick.

Audiobook provided by Recorded Books via Audiobook Jukebox for an honest review