Talon ~ Audiobook

Author:  Julie Kagawa

Narrators: Caitlin Davies, MacLeod Andrews, Chris Patton

Length: 12 hours 32 minutes/Unabridged

Publisher/Date:  Blackstone Audio, 10/28/14

Audio provided by Author/Publisher via Audiobook Jukebox for an honest review.

Book Blurb

In Julie Kagawa s groundbreaking modern fantasy series, dragons walk among us in human form.

Long ago, dragons were hunted to near extinction by the Order of St. George, a legendary society of dragon slayers. Hiding in human form and growing their numbers in secret, the dragons of Talon have become strong and cunning, and they re positioned to take over the world with humans none the wiser.

Ember and Dante Hill are the only sister and brother known to dragonkind. Trained to infiltrate society, Ember wants to live the teen experience and enjoy a summer of freedom before taking her destined place in Talon. But destiny is a matter of perspective, and a rogue dragon will soon challenge everything Ember has been taught. As Ember struggles to accept her future, she and her brother are hunted by the Order of St. George.

Soldier Garret Xavier Sebastian has a mission to seek and destroy all dragons, and Talon s newest recruits in particular. But he cannot kill unless he is certain he has found his prey and nothing is certain about Ember Hill. Faced with Ember s bravery, confidence, and all-too-human desires, Garret begins to question everything that the order has ingrained in him and what he might be willing to give up to find the truth about dragons.

My Thoughts

I was not sure what to expect with this one, I have not yet read/listened to anything by Julie Kagawa but I love Paranormal/Urban Fantasy with Dragon Shifters and while YA is not my favorite genre I really wanted to try something by this author.  I’m still somewhat undecided about this one…..

Here is what I liked:

• I liked that there were three narrators.  While Caitlin Davies narration got better as the book progressed it was still only so-so.  MacLeod Andrews did a fabulous job and enjoyed listening to his narration.  Chris Patton did a great job but he did not show up until the second part of the book.
  • I liked the idea of the story, dragons still around in human guise, living with us, an ancient order in pursuit whose sole purpose is to kill all dragons.
  • Garret and Riley were very interesting characters, Ember….initially I was not fond of her but I think the bulk of that was the voice the narrator gave her.  Dante was pretty much peripheral for most of the book and was a bigger part at the end of the book.

What I did not like:

• It was not as engaging as I wanted it to be, I wanted it to have me at the edge of my seat waiting to see what happened next.  It was very slow in the beginning and actually pretty boring.  I think I was expecting something more fantastical then we actually get.  It only really picked up for the last hour or so of the book when everything was “coming to a head”
  • Not a fan of the whole “love triangle”
  • It was very predictable….so far no surprises for anything that has happened
  • While it would take away from the story…..i’m still not a fan of the brainwashing by both Talon and The Order of Saint George…..I realize that the hatred on both sides is needed to move the story….but I just really dislike that type of blind fanaticism….there are always shades of gray nothing is really black and white.

So this one gets 3½  stars....I will most likely listen to the second one when it comes out in April but it will be the “make or break” book for me.