Odium, The Dead Saga Book 1 ~Audio

Odium: The Dead Saga - Claire C. Riley, Jennifer Reilly

The Blurb

It's better to die by the gun than die by the dead.

Nina’s life was irrevocably changed when humanity’s dead began to rise.
Now, she lives behind the walls.

The barricaded cities, erected by the government to protect the remnants of civilization, have become a brutal dictatorship- causing the inhabitants within to starve, steal and claw for survival. Life behind the walls has become as terrifying as roaming the zombie-ridden landscape beyond.

Citizens trade what they can to gain food, water, and shelter. Nina has only one currency—her body and she is tired of submitting herself to the greedy hands of the self-proclaimed leaders.

An opportunity to escape presents itself in the fate of a young girl named Emily-Rose. For the price of a stale piece of bread, she is set for banishment from the city, and most likely a horrific death at the hands of the deaders. Nina tells herself that it is sympathy and not self-preservation that makes her follow the young girl out of the walled metropolis, and into the overgrown world beyond.

Unused to fighting the deaders, Nina tries to scrounge for her survival and against her better judgment, begins to care for Emily-Rose. However, when you have a bread-stealing liability providing your only back up, survival seems even tougher. Nina is forced to fight for their lives, and with every zombie slain, she becomes fiercer, faster – a grim reaper with her not-so-sharp butcher’s knife.

Along the path to a safe-haven that might not exist, Nina and Emily-Rose meet Mikey who introduces them to a new life they could not imagine, a life above the ground. However, this new world brings new dangers, and darker shadows than she knew.
Nina finds out that the deaders aren’t the only thing to fear beyond the wall.

And that fear will not be ignored, or Forgotten.

My Thoughts

WOW….what a ride this was, this story totally sucked me in and had me at the edge of my seat.  Zombie books are hit and miss with me and fortunately this one was a hit. The writing was so realistic I found myself stopping to think what I would do if I survived the zombie apocalypse.  I really could have done without some of the descriptions of the killing of the zombies…..listening to some of that while driving, ugh, you can’t just close your eyes and shudder at 65MPH (okay, more like 75/80MPH).

Nina was a very interesting character I found myself liking her, then not liking her and liking her again.  She was incredibly snarky and quite bitchy and in the end one of my favorite characters. Emily grew on me and it will be interesting to see what becomes of Mikey.  The ending kinda snuck up on me and I was not prepared for it to end where it did…..not quite a cliff hanger, but close.   As much as I want to start the second book, I enjoyed the narration enough that I am going to wait until that book is out in audio to start.

The narration was very good, Jennifer Reilly is a “new to me” narrator (her voice does sound very familiar to me though….) the voice she gave Nina was a good one, and she did well with the other character voices, while she did not make major changes you could still tell which character was speaking.

If you like Zombie stories, you should really pick up this book/audio and get sucked into this world

Audiobook provided by Author/Publisher via www.audiobookreviewer.com for an honest review