Fortune's Pawn ~ Audio

Release Date:11-05-13

PublisherTantor Audio

Listened 11/25 – 11/26

The Blurb:

Devi Morris isn't your average mercenary. She has plans. Big ones. And a ton of ambition. It's a combination that's going to get her killed one day - but not just yet.
That is, until she just gets a job on a tiny trade ship with a nasty reputation for surprises. The Glorious Fool isn't misnamed: it likes to get into trouble, so much so that one year of security work under its captain is equal to five years everywhere else. With odds like that, Devi knows she's found the perfect way to get the jump on the next part of her Plan. But the Fool doesn't give up its secrets without a fight, and one year on this ship might be more than even Devi can handle.

If Sigouney Weaver in
Alien met Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica, you'd get Deviana Morris -- a hot new mercenary earning her stripes to join an elite fighting force. Until one alien bite throws her whole future into jeopardy.

My Thoughts

I have actually had the book for this for a while, it was a kindle daily deal and I grabbed it but had just not gotten around to reading it so when I came across the audio for review I jumped on it.  The story sucked me in from beginning to end.  Devi is a very likeable character and is a pretty kick ass merc, she knows who she is and what she wants and she is not afraid to go for it.  The crew of the Glorious Fool are all interesting and it is hard to tell if they know what is really going on (not that I have really figured out what is going on) or if they are all just innocent bystanders…..obviously Rupert is in the know but it makes me wonder if the others are as well or just really good at faking it, and the Captain…sometimes you think he is a good guy, and sometimes not so good….I like that it has me guessing and not able to figure it out

While I was not expecting any romance with this book, the chemistry between Devi and Rupert is there and quite frustrating because of the secrets known and unknown.  As I said, I was completely sucked in and was not prepared for the story to end where it did….was a complete WTF moment….and I had to go back just to make sure the audio had not skipped.  There are more questions then answers and while not a “cliff hanger” ending it was abrupt enough that you want to immediately want to start in on the next one, which I have waiting for me on my audible app….the only drawback at the moment is that book 3 is not yet in audio

Emily Durante does an excellent job with the narration, I love the voice she gave Devi, each character is distinct and I knew who was “speaking” just by the voice.  She narrates a couple of other series that I listen to so I knew going in that even if the book was not great, the narration would be….but good news is both the story and the narration rocked.

Audiobook provided by Author/Publisher for an honest review