Keep Me Safe - Slow Burn #1 - Audio Book

Narrator:  Jeffrey Kaffer
Published by HarperAudio October 7, 2014
Length: 7 hours, 16 minutes

The Blurb:
When Caleb Devereaux's younger sister is kidnapped, this scion of a powerful and wealthy family turns to an unlikely source for help: a beautiful and sensitive woman with a gift for finding answers others cannot.

While Ramie can connect to victims and locate them by feeling their pain, her ability comes with a price. Every time she uses it, it costs her a piece of herself. Helping the infuriatingly attractive and impatient Caleb successfully find his sister nearly destroys her. Even though his sexual intensity draws her like a magnet, she needs to get as far away from him as she can.

Deeply remorseful for the pain he’s caused, Caleb is determined to make things right. But just when he thinks Ramie's vanished forever, she reappears. She’s in trouble and she needs his help. Now, Caleb will risk everything to protect her—including his heart. . .

My Thoughts

I'm on the fence with this one, while I like the premise or the idea of the story of a psychic who is able to locate victims, who triumphs over evil to find love with the man of her dreams.....I have a hard time buying into some of the story.  The consequences of Ramie's ability are unreal, which you find out early in the book. Ramie and  Caleb first meet when he barges into her life forcing her to do her "thing" to find his missing sister without realizing the consequences...his actions are completely understandable.

Now you fast forward about a year and this time Ramie barges back into Caleb's life looking for help and safety, I'm still pretty okay with the story to this point but this is where the guilt Caleb has been carrying for what he did starts coming out with his awe at how strong she is when seeming so fragile and Ramie has her own suitcase of insecurities and seems to constantly go on about how she is not strong, or brave etc.  While a little of this to set the tone is not a problem but it started to feel like I was being beat over the head with it and it was starting to get irritating and I kept wanting to fast forward.

My two favorite characters were actually the two main secondary characters Dane & Eliza who were much more interesting to me. I'm looking forward to learning more about them in future books....I don't see them becoming a couple, but have an idea of who Dane may end up with.  The rest of the story was mostly predictable.....a bit disturbing and while I did not see what was actually done coming, it was still along the lines of what I figured would happen.

Now for the Narration

Jaffrey Kaffer was the narrator and this is the first narration by him I have listened to.  The narration was clear and well read, and I could easily distinguish the characters voices.  He pulled off the intimacy and sex between Caleb and Ramie very well, not all male narrators can without sounding too "over the top".  He ha s a very good voice that for me works well with the romance genre and am looking forward to listen to other stories he has narrated.